IN THE NATURE RESERVES OF THE GULF OF TRIESTE
Did you know that the Gulf of Trieste contains very different ecosystems? Discover them with us in the Isonzo River Mouth Nature Reserve, home to over 300 bird species, and in the Miramare Marine Reserve managed by WWF, with its immersive museum inside the ancient garden of Miramare Castle, once the residence of Princess Sissi.
- Visit to the Isonzo River Mouth Nature Reserve
- Lunch in the Nature Reserve
- Visit to the History Park of Miramare Castle
- Admission to Bio.Ma, the immersive museum dedicated to the ocean
- You will explore two reserves that are considered vital for protecting the environment and local fauna of the Gulf of Trieste.
- On an easy hike of about an hour, discover the Isonzo River Mouth Nature Reserve, which preserves wetlands where more than 300 species of birds, including migratory, wintering and stationary birds, find refuge. A circular route will take you via several observation huts where you may also see the white Camargue horses that have been introduced to the wild.
- Enjoy a leisurely lunch in the Reserve with local specialties like frico (a potato pie), accompanied by a glass of one of the famous Collio wines.
- Return to the Trieste coastline to visit the Miramare Castle, once the home of Emperor Maximilian I and his wife Charlotte of Belgium. Today it is a public museum set in a historic park of twenty-two hectares that houses a protected area managed by the WWF: it is the first marine reserve established in Italy.
- Here, after a walk through the historic garden of the Castle, you will also visit Bio.Ma, the Immersive Museum of the Protected Marine Area of Miramare, where you can 'immerse yourself' in a faithful reconstruction of the reserve's marine environments.
Good to know
- This is one of the most popular excursions so book early.
- Before booking the excursion or once on board, contact the excursion office to check the availability of vegetarian or gluten-free dishes and to report any food intolerances.