AVIGNON, AT THE HOME OF 9 POPES
Green-pass required, Culture & local gems, From 1 to 3 hours walking, 50
Your guide will take you back eight hundred years in Avignon, the heart of Provence. The highlight will be a visit to the Palais des Papes, a World Heritage Site. There will of course be a food tasting opportunity in a guinguette, with Provençal dishes and French wine. But what is a guinguette? GREEN PASS IS REQUIRED FOR THIS EXCURSION, PLEASE CARRY IT WITH YOU. IN CASE YOU DO NOT HAVE IT, YOU CAN OBTAIN IT ONBOARD. GREEN PASS IS REQUIRED FOR THIS EXCURSION, PLEASE CARRY IT WITH YOU. IN CASE YOU DO NOT HAVE IT, YOU CAN OBTAIN IT ONBOARD.
- Palais des Papes
- Pont Saint-Bénézet
- Typical lunch in a guinguette
- The transfer to Avignon provides your first opportunity to enjoy the beauty of Provence, with its olive groves, fruit orchards and cypresses.
- In Avignon, guided tour of the Palais des Papes, a historic French monument and World Heritage Site since 1995. During the Great Western Schism, this imposing Medieval Gothic fortress became the residence of nine popes between 1309 and 1378, when they were exiled from Rome.You'll stroll through the galleries, papal rooms, the Great Hall of the Guards and chapels.
- The tour of the city continues through the narrow cobbled streets and across the historic Pont Saint-Bénézet bridge, built in 1171 and made famous by the French nursery rhyme 'Sur le pont d'Avignon'.
- And then on to the Guinguette du Vieux Moulin, a typical tavern with spectacular views of the river, where you can taste local delicacies such as guinea fowl, goat's cheese with Provençal herbs and fennel seed crackers. Listen to the fascinating tales of the owner of this unique establishment which is half restaurant, half dance hall.
Good to know
- Menus may vary according to season to ensure the constant high quality of the dishes served.
- For anyone with food intolerances or requiring vegetarian or gluten-free meals, these will be made available if requested on board before leaving for the excursion
- The bus journey from the port to Avignon takes approximately 1 hour and 30 minutes.