LA HAGUE CAPE
Panorama, Nature, 6
A tour of the Normandy coast from the La Hague cape to Nez de Jobourg. The breathtaking landscapes and dizzying rocks enhance the magnificent atmosphere of these places where nature is the star attraction.
- La Hague cape
- Port Racine
- Goury: visit to the Raz Blanchard boat
- Ecalgrain bay
- Nez de Jobourg
- This excursion dedicated to nature lovers will take us to the La Hague Cape area, to the wild yet beguiling and untainted countryside to the west of Cherbourg dominated by granite rocks and moorlands. Here the landscape is rugged, the rocks are vertiginous, the coast is battered by the wind and the sea is often choppy: in short, nature is the star attraction of these places right out of a Turner painting.
- We continue our tour by coach, travelling along the panoramic coastal road towards Goury, passing aristocratic residences and typical Normandy villages on our way. One of these villages is Port Racine, considered to be the smallest port in France, named after a naval captain who made it the base for his ship during the reign of Napoleon.
- We will arrive in Goury, a place famous for its small port used to rescue vessels at the mercy of the area's strong currents. Here we will visit the famous Raz Blanchard boat (the French name for the Alderney Race, a strait with one of the strongest sea currents in Europe), known for having carried out numerous rescue missions.
- We continue our excursion across the wild and picturesque Ecalgrain bay whose name comes from the French expression écaler le grain, literally 'to shell the grain'. The name dates back to the mills that once lined the shores of the stream that flows into the bay. Ecalgrain bay also offers an incomparable view of the Channel Islands and the Alderney Race.
- Continuing to the south we will finally arrive at the imposingNez de Joburg with the highest cliffs in Europe (up to 128 metres) from where we can admire truly breathtaking views.
- We return to Cherbourg across the Normandy countryside.
Good to know
- We recommend that you book early because only a limited number of places are available.