A VISIT AROUND MALAGA
Culture & local gems , MyExploration, Passepartour, Less than 1 hour walking
In a nutshell
Good to know
Monuments, ancient fortresses, palaces, typical lanes, elegant gardens and tree-lined avenues: a tour to discover Malaga.
- Historic city centre
- The first stop on our trip takes us to Malaga, a city founded more than two thousand years ago and now one of the oldest ports in the Mediterranean, and the cathedral, one of the most important Renaissance monuments in Andalusia. Dating back to the 16th century, the cathedral was constructed on the site of a former mosque.
- We will then move on to the historic centre of Malaga, where we can admire the beauty of the typical calles.
- Our trip will then take us on to Alcazaba, a fortress from the Muslim era that testifies the Moorish resistance to the Christian kings. From its ancient peripheral walls we can enjoy an evocative view of the city and its surroundings, including the bay.
- Another beauty spot from which we can enjoy a breath taking view is Gibralfaro, an ancient fortress situated on top of the hill that dominates the city. Constructed in the 14th century by Yusuf 1, Caliph of Granada, in the spot on which the Phoenicians had built a lighthouse, it was, for a long time, the most impregnable fortress on the Iberian peninsula. Here we take a final look at Malaga, its bay and the beautiful surroundings, before beginning our return journey to the ship.
Good to know
- The Alcazaba is closed to the public on Mondays.
- When the cathedral is being used for religious ceremonies, our tour will be limited to the exterior of the building.
- This excursion is not recommended for guests with mobility problems.