St. Cruz de Tenerife
A DAY DISCOVERING TENERIFE, HISTORY AND NATURE
Sightseen, Culture & local gems, My Explorations, Less than 1 hour walking, 50
A genuine journey into the history of the island of Tenerife, amongst aristocrat buildings and bourgeois homes, including an unmissable adventure amongst the exotic nature of the Puerto de la Cruz Botanical Garden.
- La Laguna: Calle Obispo Rey, Casa de Los Capitanes and Calle Viana
- Puerto de la Cruz Botanical Garden
- Garachico Village and Castillo de San Miguel
- Small town of Icod de los Vinos and Dracaena draco
- Our tour begins with a visit of La Laguna, ancient capital of the island and today a UNESCO Heritage Site: we will begin our journey throughout history upon entering the Calle Obispo Rey, a beautiful road aligned with aristocrat buildings from the 700s boasting impressive façades, amongst which Casa de Los Capitanes, with a visit of the internal patio.
- From Calle Obispo Rey we will move onto Calle Viana, where the scenery changes: pre-Colombian style, extremely colourful bourgeois houses replace the aristocratic buildings.
- Upon departing from La Laguna, we will take the motorway to get to the Puerto de la Cruz Botanical Garden, where an incredible variety of exotic, tropical, and subtropical plants and majestic trees await, all carefully cared for. The splendid setting won't fail to capture the attention of 'green-fingered' visitors.
- We will continue on our tour along the north-western coast to thevillage of Garachico: from here we will cross the small and attractive historic centre to arrive at Castillo de San Miguel, a small fort built in the 16th century upon the order of Felipe II, at the time when Garachico was the largest port on the island.
- After Garachico, we will visit the eighteenth-century small town of Icod de los Vinos, the main attraction of which is the Drago Millenario or Dracaena draco, a dragon tree which is estimated to be around 3,000 years old and which was declared a national monument in 1917.
Good to know
- This excursion is not recommended for guests with mobility problems.