CABO GIRAO, EUROPE'S SUMMIT
In a nutshell
Good to know
An evocative tour across the highest sea cliffs of Madeira and indeed in Europe, to admire the terraced vineyards and the picturesque fishermen's houses, views that inspired many of Winston Churchill's paintings.
- Cabo Girão
- Camara de Lobos
- Pico dos Barcelos
- Funchal city centre: local handicraft shop and typical wine tasting
- By following the coast road we come to Cabo Girão, one of the highest view points in the world (580m), where the tenacity of farmers has even beaten the cliff tops.
- We will then reach the picturesque spot of Camara de Lobos where we will take a break to photograph the typical fishermen's houses that sit sheltered on rocky slopes, and the terraced vineyards behind the beach. This is a landscape often interpreted in paintings completed by Winston Churchill during his frequent winter visits here.
- We continue on to Pico dos Barcelos, a beautiful panoramic terrace on the south coast of Madeira.
- Once in Funchal, we will stop off at a local handicraft shop, where we can admire a range of typical lace products and taste the unmissable wines produced using the renowned local Madeira vine variety, thanks to which the island has achieved worldwide fame.
Good to know
- The planned panoramic itinerary includes a number of curves and hairpin bends..Seats are limited, so be sure to book early.