A WALK THROUGH THE HEART OF LISBON
In a nutshell
Good to know
A tour that introduces us to Lisbon's picturesque historic centre, an evocative panoramic viewpoint and the chapel of St. John the Baptist.
- Baixa district: Praça da Figueira and Rossio (Dom Pedro IV Square)
- Praça do Comércio
- Praça dos Restauradores
- Bairro Alto: São Pedro de Alcântara viewpoint
- Pause for Pastry tasting
- Church of Sao Roque
- We travel by coach to Baixa, a district in central Lisbon where we can admire Praça da Figueira, the main square, and the Rossio, the name commonly given to Dom Pedro IV Square, the beating heart of the city from where all the main streets fan out.
- We stop at Praça do Comércio, considered by many to be the most beautiful square in Europe.
- A short walk away is Praça dos Restauradores, the square created to commemorate the liberation of Portugal from Spanish rule in 1640. It features an obelisk bearing the dates of the Portuguese Restoration. From here the Elevador da Gloria funicular takes us to the Bairro Alto (high district). In just five minutes we climb the 265 metres to the São Pedro de Alcântara viewpoint, which offers breathtaking panoramic views of the city with its characteristic shingle roofs.
- After pause
for tasting the typical custard cream cake we head for the Church of São Roque. The legendary Saint Roch Church is situated in the typical Bairro
Alto old quarter, in the heart of the historical centre of cosmopolitan
LisboaThe Church construction started in 1506, next to a cemetery where
the black plague victims were buried, situated outside the city walls and
dedicated to Saint Roch, the protector of those infected with the
plague. This Church, according to the Society of Jesus architectonic convention,
presents a sober façade and a spacious and rich interior, composed by
eight chapels, in groups of four, profusely decorated in golden carved
wood and marble.
- During the excursion we also have some free time to explore independently.
Good to know
- Places on this excursion are limited. We recommend booking early.
- The Elevador da Gloria funicular may be closed without warning for maintenance work; in this case it will be substituted by the Santa Justa lift.