TEA AND THERMAL SPRINGS: ENSURED WELL-BEING
In a nutshell A spectacular stretch of tea plantation starts off this excursion to discover the best the local climate, history and territory have to offer: from Baroque buildings, volcanic landscape and culinary delicacies to the thermal springs - everything is extremely fascinating.
Good to know
- Tea plantation - the only one in Europe
- Ribeira Grande and its Baroque tradition *Pico do Ferro viewpoint: breathtaking views over the Furnas valley
- Terra Nostra subtropical park
- Typical Portuguese lunch
- Thermal springs
- After leaving Ponta Delgada by coach, the excursion starts with a visit to the only tea plantation left in Europe to discover how this plant is grown and processed. The locals add mineral water from the thermal springs to the green tea variety to create the famous volcanic purple tea.
- By crossing one of the most important agricultural areas on the island, we reach the oldest Baroque city on the northern coast, Ribeira Grande, characterized by its architectural beauties of clear Portuguese influence.
- Our itinerary then takes us to the Pico do Ferro viewpoint to enjoy breathtaking views overlooking the entire Furnas Valley, famous for its fumaroles releasing vapour and hot mud.
- As we venture into the Furnas thermal centre, we reach Terra Nostra Park an idyllic place known for its splendid subtropical fauna.
- In a local hotel, we delight our palate with a lunch featuring typical Portuguese dishes and get to know the flavours that accompany many natural beauties.
- The last stop before returning to Ponta Delgada is a visit to the famous thermal springs considered the most interesting natural phenomenon in the Azores.
- We then drive through Vila Dranco do Campo, a picturesque city that used to be the island’s capital.
Good to know
- The excursion involves some walking.
- You must be physically fit.
- The order of the foot and coach excursions may be inverted.
- We recommend that you book early because only a limited number of places are available.