THE CORFU OF SISSI AND UNESCO
PasseparTour, Culture, Shopping
Follow our guide through the rooms of Achilleion, Princess Sissi's villa, inspired by the Greek myths, to discover why the Princess left Vienna for Corfu. Visit Kanoni, a viewpoint above the Ionian Sea and venture into the old town of Corfu, declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- Achilleion, the palace of Princess Sissi
- Kanoni, photo stop
- Corfu town, UNESCO World Heritage site
- Welcome to Corfu, a Greek island just 64 kilometers long but with a vast natural and cultural heritage. Ruled in the past by the Venetians, the French, the British and, ultimately, the Greeks since 1944.
- You only need spend a few minutes on the island to understand why Sissi, the Empress Elisabeth of Austria, preferred it to the luxury and duties of court life. She discovered her passion for Greek mythology in the Achilleion, a neoclassical style villa inspired by her favorite hero. Follow the guide through the frescoed halls and gardens overlooking the sea: you can easily picture them decked out for a grand ball.
- Continue the tour to Kanoni, a viewpoint named after the battery of French canons installed in 1798. Take a few photos of the sea view and the monastery of Vlacherna, to which the only access is across a narrow jetty.
- And to cap it all, here you are in Spianada square, the historic center of Corfu. Explore a UNESCO World Heritage Site of cobbled streets, Byzantine buildings and ancient craft workshops.
Good to know
- Slight changes may be made to itineraries and the length of excursions to protect your health and to comply with regulations and the safety protocol.
- This is one of the most popular excursions so book early.