THE WONDERS OF KNOSSOS AND THE ARCHAEOLOGICAL MUSEUM
Suspended between history and legend, the ancient city of Knossos will charm us with the remains of its magnificent palace, a testament to the Minoan civilization and an historic treasure of rare beauty.
What we will see
- Palace of Knossos
- Archaeological museum
What we will do
- Leaving the port of Heraklion, we will enjoy an inspiring trip to Knossos, the ancient capital of the great kingdom of Minos, which, considering its area, is thought to have been home to 100,000 people. Testament to the ancient Minoan civilization, the original Minoan palace dated back to 1900 BC. It was destroyed by an earthquake two hundred years later and reconstructed in much more extravagant fashion in 1700 BC. The final catastrophe struck between 1500 and 1450 BC, when the earthquake caused by the eruption of the Santorini volcano destroyed the royal residence for good. Visiting the ruins, we relive the myth of Minos: the palace's complexity leads us to believe that the myth of the labyrinth began here.
- Accompanied by our guide, we will walk through the wonderful ruins of the ancient palace complex where the administrative and religious centres of the whole region were once housed. We can get an idea of the magnificence of this immense structure thanks to restorations by Sir Arthur Evans, though these have been criticised for their modernity. We will admire the lodgings of the king, queen and members of the royal court, the rooms used for important occasions, the theatre area, storehouses and potters workshops.
- The next stage of our visit takes us to the archaeological museum, where a unique collection of artefacts from the Minoan civilization awaits us. We will be enchanted by the terracotta, marble and alabaster idols, and by the collection of gold, jewels, ivory, statues, sarcophagi and frescos, a precious testament to the artistic inclination of this millennia-old civilization.
What you need to know
- Places on this excursion are limited. So please reserve early.
- This tour is not recommended for guests with mobility problems.
- We suggest wearing comfortable shoes and clothing.
- The excursion is available to both those guests in transit and guests who are disembarking at the port of Heraklion.
- For those of you who are leaving the ship at Heraklion, please ensure that your flight leaves after 16.50.
- In order to guarantee the health of our guests, in compliance with the regulations and the respect of the safety protocol, the itineraries and the duration of the excursions may be subject to changes, even if not substantial.