THE WHOLE OF ATHENS IN A “GYROS”
Culture & local gems, My Explorations, Less than 1 hour walking, 52
The iconic neighborhoods and monuments of Athens on a guided tour from the quay of an ancient military port to the top of the Acropolis. All the most iconic places: the Panathenaic Stadium, unique in the world, the Agora, a melting pot of peoples since the 2nd century BC, the Plaka and Monastiraki districts, where the tour ends but where a taste of local flavors awaits, all for you.
- Zea Marina
- Sightseeing bus tour: Panathenaic Stadium, University, National Library and National Academy (external visit)
- Acropolis: external visit
- Monastiraki district with local snack
- Your guided excursion among the symbolic places of the greatness of Athens begins with a sightseeing tour of the Zea Marina, commissioned in the 5th century BC by Themistocles as a defense against attacks by the Persians.
- The bus will take you to the nearby Panathenaic Stadium, internationally unique for being entirely clad in white marble, and downtown Athens, among elegant neoclassical buildings such as the University, the National Library and the National Academy.
- Look up and you'll see the Acropolis, the high city that dominates the whole landscape. Take a photo of the ancient site of the Athenian Assembly, now a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- Venture into the ancient Agora, the square of the people that was a center for everything, from business to religion and politics. Poor Socrates was sentenced to death here in 399 BC.
- Continue to the Monastiraki district, where a 100% Greek lunch break awaits you; gyros pita stuffed with meat, vegetables and fries with, of course, a glass of ouzo. There's still time to discover the Plaka district or take a break in a café on Andrianou Street, like a real Athenian.
Good to know
- Slight changes may be made to itineraries and the length of excursions in order to protect your health and to comply with regulations and the safety protocol.
- This is one of the most popular excursions so book early.
- Before booking the excursion or once on board, contact the excursion office to check the availability of vegetarian or gluten-free dishes and to report any food intolerances.