THE VILLAGE OF ASSOS AND THE MELISSANI LAKE
Splendid landscapes, unspoilt nature, beaches you can only dream of, impressive caves and picturesque villages: Kefalonia will surprise us with its natural and architectural beauty.
What we will see
- Memorial to the Dead of the Acqui Division
- Panoramic tour in the vicinity of Myrtos
- Village of Assos
- Melissani Lake
What we will do
- We will begin our coach trip with a brief stop at the Memorial to the Dead of the Acqui Division, in memory of the massacre of Italian soldiers by the German army in 1943.
- Leaving the town behind us, we will enter the lush vegetation of the island. Our itinerary gives us a splendid view of the coastline and the cobalt blue sea. A brief panoramic stop near Myrtos Beach will give us a sublime glimpse of one of Europe's most beautiful beaches.
- After this exciting route, we will arrive in Assos, a picturesque village resting on a tiny peninsula. It looks almost like a little island in itself. An amphitheatre of brightly coloured houses amidst pine and cypress trees are mirrored in the turquoise waters of this enchanting bay. We jump at the chance to relax and stroll along the alleyways, where time seems to have come to a standstill.
- We will continue our tour to one of the natural marvels of the island: the Melissani Lake. This is a partially covered, underground lake, where the sun's rays filter through the roof, creating splendid effects of light and colour. We climb aboard a tiny rowing boat so we can admire nature's work of art.
- After an exciting day, we will be returning to the port along an inland road, so we can admire Kefalonia's wonderful hinterland.
What you need to know
- We recommend that you book early because only a limited number of places are available.
- The planned panoramic itinerary includes a number of curves and hairpin bends.