THE RIVIERA OF THE CYCLOPS
Panorama, PasseparTour, Culture
We will set out on a journey of discovery to experience the architectural and natural wonders of the Ionian Coast to the north of Catania: majestic cliff stacks, picturesque towns and historic monuments.
What we will see
- Aci Castello and Cyclops Stacks
- Aci Trezza
What we will do
- We will leave the port of Catania for Aci Castello, a town that grew up around a Norman castle, from which it takes its name, built on rocks made of lava that jut out into the sea.
- We will explore the town's streets before arriving in the square that is home to the Chiesa Madre church, built from volcanic stone. A spectacular lookout point provides an opportunity to admire the stunning panoramic views that stretch along the Riviera of the Cyclops. According to Homer's Odyssey, its towering rock stacks were boulders thrown at the fleeing Ulysses by the Cyclops, Polyphemus.
- Our next stop is Acireale, near Mount Etna, located on a lava field among an expanse of citrus groves. Well-known for its churches, the town's beauty and imposing buildings ranging from Sicilian Baroque to the Neo-Gothic style are astonishing.
- We will then continue on to Aci Trezza, a small town located ten kilometres to the north of Catania along the Ionian Coast. It boasts a long maritime tradition and is an extremely popular destination during the summer. Famous for its breathtaking landscape, it was here that Giovanni Verga set his masterpiece I Malavoglia.
- With a last look at the magnificent views of the Riviera of the Cyclops, we will return to the port of Catania.
What you need to know
- In order to guarantee the health of our guests, in compliance with the regulations and the respect of the safety protocol, the itineraries and the duration of the excursions may be subject to changes, even if not substantial.