LET LOOSE IN PISA
Pisa, historically one of Italy's maritime republics, is an enchantingly beautiful city with traces of Romanesque architecture blended harmoniously with its Gothic, Renaissance and Baroque buildings: a gem waiting to be discovered.
What we will see
- Piazza dei Miracoli
- Leaning Tower of Pisa
What we will do
- Leaving the port of Livorno we head to Pisa where we have two free hours to visit the former maritime republic.
- We can now chose our route independently, perhaps starting at the famous Piazza del Duomo, which is better known as the Piazza dei Miracoli. The name was coined by Gabriele D'Annunzio in recognition of the magnificence of a place where the glowing whiteness of the marble buildings which appear to spring from the grassy carpet of the square offers visitors a spectacle like no other.
- We cannot fail to be enchanted by the pure white magnificence of Piazza dei Miracoli. Don't miss the Cathedral, the highest expression of Pisan Romanesque architecture, in which the classical tradition is filtered through the experiences of the early Church, incorporating Lombard and Byzantine motifs and influences from the Arab and Norman world, to wondrous effect.
- We can't fail to stop in front of the Leaning Tower, an imposing structure that appears almost weightless thanks to storey after storey of graceful arches. Here a photo is practically obligatory.
- The Baptistry, home to many artistic masterpieces of immense value, is also of great interest.
- With the beauty of Pisa lingering in our eyes and in our minds, we return to our ship by coach.
What you need to know