NAZARETH, CITY OF THE ANNUNCIATION
Designed for families, Culture & local gems , Less than 1 hour walking, Family friendly
A fascinating visit to the place where it was announced to the Blessed Virgin Mary that she would give birth to Jesus, a destination for thousands of pilgrims every year.
- Nazareth, Church of the Annunciation
- We will set off from the port for Nazareth, where we will be able to visit the Church of the Annunciation, the largest church in the Middle East and one of the most important Christian sanctuaries in the world.
- According to Christian tradition, the church was built on the site of the house of the Virgin Mary, where the Archangel Gabriel is said to have appeared to Mary to announce that she would become the Mother of Jesus.
- Built in 1969, the modern church was commissioned from the architect Giovanni Muzio by the Franciscans. In the courtyard outside the church, a curious mix of portraits of the Virgin Mary with the Christ Child from all over the world create a sacred and ecumenical atmosphere. Below the level of the church, we will have the opportunity to admire a 5th-century Byzantine church, built around the Grotto of the Annunciation.
- During this excursion, you will have some time to take photographs, spend a quiet moment in prayer or purchase small sacred souvenirs.
Good to know
- Clothing that is appropriate for the places of worship to be visited is recommended (ladies are expected to wear a scarf covering shoulders and arms; neither ladies nor gents are allowed to wear shorts).
- It is recommended to wear comfortable shoes.