PISA AND THE LEANING TOWER
Panorama, Culture, 5
In a nutshell Splendid Romanesque architecture, harmoniously fused with Gothic, Renaissance and seventeenth-century buildings: prepare to be amazed by the jewel of the ancient Maritime Republic of Pisa, the Piazza dei Miracoli.
Good to know
- Piazza del Duomo
- Pisa's Duomo
- The Leaning Tower
- Leaving the port of La Spezia behind, we set off for Pisa, where we have a little time to tour round this ancient maritime republic.
- Our tour guide will lead us on an historic itinerary based on the famous Piazza del Duomo, better known as Piazza dei Miracoli. This was the name given to it by Gabriele D'Annunzio in recognition of the splendour of a place where the glowing whiteness of the marble buildings - which appear to spring from the grassy carpet of the square - offers visitors a spectacle like no other.
- Our exploration of the white splendour of Piazza dei Miracoli begins with the Duomo, the highest expression of Pisan Romanesque architecture in which the classical tradition is filtered through the experiences of the early Church, incorporating Lombard and Byzantine motifs and influences from the Arab and Norman world, to wondrous effect.
- Finally, we move on to the Baptistry, which houses many artistic masterpieces of incredible value.
- We can't fail to stop and admire the famous Leaning Tower, an imposing structure that appears almost weightless thanks to storey after storey of graceful arches. We'll have the privilege of walking up the 294 steps to the top of the tower, which is famous throughout the world for its pronounced tilt.
Good to know
- Our guide will join the excursion directly in Pisa.
- Dress code that is appropriate for the places of worship to be visited is recommended.
- Children under the age of 8 are not admitted in the Tower for safety reasons.
- Bags and rucksacks are not permitted in the Tower for safety reasons.
- The coach transfer to Pisa takes approximately 1 hour 30 minutes.
- Places on this excursion are limited. We recommend booking early.