MDINA AND MOSTA, THE HISTORIC HEART OF MALTA
PasseparTour, Culture, Shopping
This excursion will not only introduce you to the island of Malta but to its history too.
In Mosta, visit the Rotunda of St Mary, inspired by the Pantheon in Rome. In Mdina, among Arab walls and baroque monuments, we'll take you to see St Paul's Cathedral.
- Visit to Mosta: Rotunda of St Mary
- Visit to Mdina: St Paul's Cathedral
- Your journey begins in Mosta with the Rotunda of St Mary: this church has one of the biggest unsupported domes in the world. During World War II, a German bomb perforated the dome and landed inside, but didn't explode. A further two bounced on its surface and landed in the square outside, also without exploding. Miracles?
- The next stop is Mdina, Malta's ancient capital. If the entrance gate looks familiar it's because it was the gateway to King's Landing in an episode of Game of Thrones. The fortifications were built by the Arabs but there is little else left from the time of their rule: Mdina was destroyed by an earthquake in 1693 and rebuilt in Baroque style. One example of this stratification is St Paul's Cathedral.
Good to know
- Wear suitable clothing for the places of worship you will be visiting.