THE MEGALITHIC TEMPLES OF MALTA
Culture & local gems , Less than 1 hour walking
In a nutshell
Good to know
Travel back in time on an evocative journey of discovery of the megalithic temples of Malta. An opportunity to visit the authentic architectural marvels and enjoy picturesque scenery.
- _a_ar Qim archaeological site
- Megalithic Temple
- Tarxien Temple
- G_ar Dalam Cave
- Village of Marsaxlokk
- Our journey backwards in time starts in the Southern part of the island with a visit to the _a_ar Qim archaeological site (standing stones), which includes the biggest megalithic temple of Malta (approximately 3000-2500 BC). To the right of the main entrance there is a 7 metre high, 20 ton monolith which is the largest monolith ever to be used in the entire history of Malta. Our guide will illustrate the complex structure of the temple, an extraordinary example of the architecture and crafts tradition of the time.
- We board the coach again to head for one of the three Tarxien temples, another example of Bronze Age megalithic culture.
- Lastly, we visit G_ar Dalam Cave, where the first traces of life on the island were found dating back to 180,000 years ago. Here we can see fossils of animals that populated the island during the Ice Age.
- Before concluding the excursion we stop briefly at Marsaxlokk to see the picturesque setting of this small fishing village with its stone houses, brightly coloured boats and fishing nets spread out to dry in the sun.
Good to know
- We recommend wearing comfortable shoes.
- This excursion is not recommended for guests with mobility problems.
- Upon return from an excursion, coaches are not authorized to drop off passengers on the quay where the ship is berthed but only in front of the passenger terminal.