DUBROVNIK, FROM THE CABLE CAR TO THE DRAWBRIDGE
If you have a bucket list of things to do in your lifetime, boarding a cable car from the sea and crossing a drawbridge might be two fairly unusual wishes, however you can fulfill them both on the same excursion in Dubrovnik.
- Cable car to the summit of Mount Srđ, museum of the Croatian War of Independence
- Dubrovnik's old town: Vrata od Ploča, Stradun, Church of St. Blaise, Onofrio's Fountain, Cathedral, Sponza Palace, external visits
- Drawbridge, Vrata od Pila
- The cable car takes just 4 minutes to reach the summit of Mount Srđ. From the arrival station, 405 meters up, you can enjoy the view over the terracotta tiled roofs of the fortified city to the island of Lokrum, with the background of the sea and the Elaphite Islands on the horizon. Destroyed during the war of independence that began in 1991, the cable car has since been restored and put back into service.
- As a testimony to that war, there is an impressive collection of weapons, bullets, grenades and soldiers' uniforms at the Croatian War of Independence Museum, where the symbols of the recent struggle are housed in a 200-year-old fortress at the top of the mountain that was the last line in the heroic defense of Dubrovnik.
- Returning to the lower station, a 10-minute walk will bring you to Vrata od Ploča, the eastern gate to Dubrovnik's old town, close to the old harbor and an the entry point for caravans from the East.
- The excursion on foot will start here and continue along the Stradun, the main street, past the church of St. Blaise, Onofrio's Fountain, the cathedral, Sponza Palace, Vrata od Pila and across a real drawbridge under the watchful eye of St. Blaise. Just think that long ago the bridge was raised every evening, the door was closed and the key delivered to the prince.
- OK, you've just crossed two wishes off your bucket list.
Good to know
- The cable car ticket price is included in the excursion price.
- The cable car operation is dependent upon weather conditions.
- A shuttle bus is available for your return journey to the ship.
- Slight changes may be made to itineraries and the length of excursions to protect your health and to comply with regulations and the safety protocol.
- This is one of the most popular excursions so book early.