THE ICELANDIC SOUL BETWEEN FLOWERS AND FJORDS
Culture & local gems , Less than 1 hour walking, 52
In a nutshell A captivating excursion characterised by spectacular scenery that will make us plunge into the typical and cosy atmosphere of fjord villages where times seems to have stood still.
Good to know
- Skrúður, Botanical Garden
- Flateyri, church, old library, old merchant's house
- Music program - traditional music
- Our excursion immediately starts with an array of unusual and spectacular sceneries - narrow passages, steep cliffs, farmhouses and villages protected by fjords.
- We will visit a project that, for this land, seems more like a challenge to the extreme environmental conditions - Iceland's first Botanical Garden - Skrúður - founded in 1909 by Protestant pastor Guðlaugsson and his wife, who also initiated a school programme to redeem underdeveloped agricultural conditions.
- From the Botanical Garden, winner of the Carlo Scarpa international prize in 2013, we will move to Falteyri, a village built on the gravel appendix of the Önundarfjörður. There, we will visit the charming small church and listen to some good traditional music.
- We will walk along the main road and visit the old library and the old merchant's house savouring the sensation of being in a place where time has stood still.
- Finally, we will stop at a local Caffe to taste some home made refreshments and a nice cup of coffee.
Good to know
- Places on this excursion are limited. We recommend booking early.
- This excursion includes an English speaking guide.