TROMSØ AND THE POLARIA AQUARIUM
Sightseen, Designed for families, Less than 1 hour walking, Family friendly
After visiting the famous Polaria museum we set off to discover Tromsø, a city that is rich in history and boasts a variety of architectural styles; it is surrounded by a breathtaking natural scenery of islands, fjords and mountains.
- Polaria Museum
- Tromsø Bridge
- Arctic Cathedral
- Free time for shopping.
- In this excursion we discover the beautiful city of Tromsø, which is often referred to as the "Gateway to the Arctic". This city on the wooded island of Troms was once a centre for hunters of seals and seal elephants and a starting point of many Arctic expeditions and is now a vibrant University city where the old merges harmoniously with the new.
- The first stop in our excursion is the wonderful Polaria museum, the famous Arctic museum and aquarium housed in an ultra-modern architectural complex. In addition to housing an aquarium, this complex also showcases the many faces of the Arctic region's fauna and flora through interesting exhibitions and a panoramic cinema. During our visit we can admire a faithful and detailed reconstruction of the Arctic environment and its climate and observe polar bear caves and seal pools.
- At the end of our visit we cross the Tromsø bridge and head for the Arctic Cathedral which has an ultra modern architectural style and a shape that recalls a Sami tent, or indeed the tip of an iceberg. The cathedral interior is dominated by a splendid 140 square metre polychrome stained glass window representing the Resurrection of Christ.
- Before concluding the excursion we go back to the city centre for some free time that we can dedicate to shopping.
Good to know
- Places on this excursion are limited. We recommend booking early.