This tour includes the major landmarks of Trondheim, a lively and historic university city and home of the famous Nidaros Cathedral. This panoramic tour accompanies us to the main places of historical and cultural interest.
What we will see
- Gamle Bybro Bridge
- Kristiansten Fortress
- Bakklandet (old city)
- Brubakken Hill
- Nidaros Cathedral (outside visit)
- Archbishop's Palace (outside visit)
What we will do
- We leave the port and head towards the city centre of Trondheim, one of the oldest cities of the Scandinavian country, founded by the Viking King Olav I of Norway in 997 AD. Trondheim was destroyed various times by terrible fires; the architect Cicignon contributed to its reconstruction at the end of the 17th century.
- We pass in front of the Stiftsgården, the largest wooden building in the country which is used by the royal family as an official residence when they are visiting Trondheim.
- We continue on our tour and we cross the Gamle Bybro, an old bridge over the River Nidelva which takes us to the old city quarter of Bryggene, rendered even more extraordinary by the brightly coloured stilt houses on the river bank.
- We then go past the Kristiansten Fortress before reaching the Bakklandet area, the enchanting old quarter of the city. Here we take a stroll around the picturesque houses of the fishermen, sailors and artisans. Trondheim was the first city in the world to have a bicycle lift to go up the steep Brubakken Hill.
- We proceed on foot around the old city, admiring the splendid views over the River Nidelva, up to Nidaros Cathedral, one of the most beautiful and imposing cathedrals in the Scandinavian peninsula and the best preserved Gothic building in Northern Europe. This beautiful building, dating back to the 12th century, was built over the burial site of St. Olav, the patron saint of Norway, and is therefore considered an important place of pilgrimage. The Archbishop's Palace, another splendid Medieval building, stands just behind the Cathedral.
- After this visit we return to the ship by coach.