VINTAGE TRAIN AND GUIDED TOUR OF THE OLD MINE
Sightseen, Designed for families, Less than 1 hour walking, Family friendly
A fascinating guided tour on foot of the old mine which is the origin of the multi-national group, Orkla, one of the most successful industries in the country, followed by an interesting tour on a vintage train between Funnam and Løkken.
- Bårdshaug Manor
- Vintage train Tour
- Guided tour of the old mine
- We leave the port by coach and head for Orkanger; during the journey we see Bårdshaug Manor, which is an interesting example of late 19th and early 20th century Norwegian architecture.
- We then proceed along the river to Fannrem, where we take the train that runs along the narrow gauge Thamshavn railway line which features sharp bends and steep climbs. The carriages date back to 1908 when the railway line opened. The railway line was originally constructed to transport copper from the Løkken mine but was subsequently used for passenger transport until 1963. During the Second World War the railway line was sabotaged on several occasions.
- We arrive in Løkken after a journey of about 50 minutes; here we take the coach again and proceed towards the old mine.* Once we arrive, we are taken on a fascinating guided tour through narrow corridors and large chambers, covering about one kilometre on foot. We find out more about the challenges which daily life in the mine involved, accompanied by the smell of sulphur and the sound of running water.
- At the end of the visit, we return to the port.