THE MEDIEVAL VILLAGE OF PORVOO
Panorama, PasseparTour, Culture
In a nutshell
Good to know
Providing a real historical flavour, this excursion allows us to compare the past and present of a fascinating city.
- Helsinki, city tour of the most well-known monuments
- Porvoo, historic quarter and commercial warehouses
- After setting off from Helsinki port, we will pass a series of monuments of national historical interest: the Parliament, the National Museum, the new Opera House, the Olympic Stadium, built in 1952, and Finlandia Hall, a unique conference and events centre designed by the famous architect Alvar Aalto, who was also responsible for the church in Riola di Vergato (Bologna) in the 1970s
- We will admire the beautiful Finnish countryside en route to the ancient town of Porvoo, following a panoramic road along the coast.
- Porvoo is the second oldest town in Finland and is a gem of Finnish architectural history, particularly in the residential area of Old Porvoo, a picturesque neighbourhood built on a hill near the Porvoonjoki River. The houses were built in keeping with medieval ideas about urban planning and represent the harmonious coexistence of old and new. Porvoo's symbol is its charming red houses built on the river bank; they were once warehouses where goods, products and exotic delicacies from distant lands were kept.
- We will take a stroll through the historic centre, full of shops selling local delicacies and handicrafts. For example, the depots near the former station are home to a shop that is impossible to leave empty handed: gifts, souvenirs, local handicrafts, organic food and cakes, all top-quality, so much so that it is considered by many to be a tourist attraction in its own right!
- We will set off once again for Helsinki, passing through the beautiful countryside.
Good to know
- The trip to Porvoo will be approximately 1 hour.