A SPECTACULAR FORTRESS ON WATER
In a nutshell Ancient artillery equipment and colossal defensive walls, evocative galleries ready to be explored, lovely perfectly-tended gardens, breathtaking views of the sea -Suomenlinna fortress, erected on six connecting islands, is a whole world ready to be discovered that has charmed and intrigued travellers down the ages.
Good to know
- Visit to the Suomenlinna fortress
- Free time to explore the surroundings
- We leave the ship behind us and reach the ferry that, in just a few minutes, takes us to an entirely different side of the capital.
- We arrive at the spectacular Suomenlinna fortress dominating the sea and defending the city from its privileged position on six connecting islands. Built during the 18th century under the Swedish dominion, it is a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- Once there, we enjoy a thrilling guided tour of the fortress and realize immediately that this extraordinary place is not merely a military fortress, but a true city within the city that boasts a library, shops, a fire station and a school all located in the buildings that used to be the garrison’s lodgings.
- After the guided tour, we have some time available to explore Suomenlinna at leisure: it is the perfect opportunity to discover the perfectly tended green areas, lovely beach or fascinating galleries most of which are open to the public.
- We return to the city by ferry and then back to the ship.
Good to know
- This excursion is not recommended for guests with mobility problems or wheelchair users.