PANORAMIC TOUR OF KIEL AND HISTORIC LANDMARK IN LABOE (ends at the airport)
Culture & local gems , Less than 1 hour walking
In a nutshell From the port city of Kiel to the historic town of Laboe, on the eastern bank of the Kiel Fjord.
Good to know
- Kiel: major places of interest in the city, City Hall, Kiel Canal
- Laboe: Naval Memorial to the Sailors who died in battle and exhibition inside, U995 submarine with museum
- We leave the port to start our panoramic tour of the city of Kiel. The capital of the Federal State of Schleswig-Holstein boasts a long tradition as a maritime city and port, which pervades daily life.
- Our route winds past the main points of interest in the city, including the City Hall and the spectacular Kiel Canal, which links the North Sea to the Baltic Sea.
- At the end of our city tour, our coach will take us to the eastern shore of the Kiel Fjord to the town of Laboe, where we visit the Memorial to the Sailors who were killed in battle. The tower was first erected to commemorate the soldiers of the German Navy who died in the First World War. Later, it was also dedicated to the sailors who died in the Second World War. In 1954, it became a memorial to all the fallen from the Navies of all nationalities.
- After an interesting visit to the exhibition inside the monument, we climb to the top of the building to enjoy the spectacular viewthat unfolds before us.
- Lastly, the U995 submarine, one of the dreaded U-Boats that destroyed the allied ships in the north-eastern Atlantic, awaits us on the nearby beach. Today, it houses a museum where we can learn about some of the aspects of the hard life of the crew on board submarines.
- Our visit to the memorial is over and we set off by coach for Hamburg airport.
Good to know
- We recommend wearing comfortable shoes.
- This excursion is not recommended for guests with mobility problems.
- The tour guides will leave the group at the end of our tour of Kiel. The journey to the airport does not include a guide.
- This excursion is reserved for guests who disembark at Kiel and whose flights depart after 4.00 p.m.