THE ANCIENT VIKING FARM OF LOFOTR AND VESTVÅGØY
Sightseen, Designed for families, Culture & local gems , Less than 1 hour walking, Family friendly
A journey back in time at Leknes, home to the remains of the largest communal Viking house ever discovered. We can admire the mountains, the natural landscapes and the fishing villages, and imagine life as it once was in these magical, historic places.
- Leknes and the Himmeltindan mountains
- Borg and the Viking Museum of Lofotr
- Stop at the viewpoint in Hagskaret with view of the Norwegian Sea and the Vestfjord
- Village of Stamsund
- The Buksnesfjord and famous viewpoint of Einangen
- We go through Leknes, the administrative centre of Vestvågøy, where agriculture and fishing hold the same importance. We also pass close to its tiny airport.
- Accompanying us in the background throughout our journey are the imposing Himmeltindan mountains which, at 914 metres above sea level, are the highest peaks on the entire island.
- Shortly afterwards, we come to Borg, the site of an ancient Viking homestead, discovered by a farmer in the early 80s while he was ploughing his land. The main building is 83 metres long and houses a range of displays and reconstructions in the various rooms. Completely restored, it was given the name of 'Lofotr'.
- During our visit we'll be able to imagine life in ancient times.
- Outside we see the type of livestock available to the people of the time: wild boar, Fjord horses, sheep, etc.
- The next stage in our trip will be a stop at the panoramic viewpoint of Hagskaret, from where we can enjoy a view of the Norwegian Sea and of the Vestfjord, which separates the islands from mainland Europe.
- Our excursion then moves on to Stamsund, a fishing village founded by Julius M. Johansen at the beginning of the 20th century. A 'self-made' man, who became one of Norway's most successful dried-fish producers and guano traders, he commissioned the construction of modern fishing equipment, mooring quays, a refinery for cod liver oil, shops, homes for the fishermen and a church.
- Before returning to our ship, at anchor in the Buksnesfjord, we enjoy a superb view from high up at the panoramic viewpoint of Einangen.
Good to know
- Places on this excursion are limited. We recommend booking early.