SPLIT AND DIOCLETIAN'S PALACE
Let us stroll around the charming centre of Split, declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site, on a guided tour that enables us to discover its most precious gems from Roman times onwards down the centuries. We relax with a restaurant lunch and even have some time for shopping at the local market.
- Sightseeing tour of Dalmatia
- Split historic centre
- Diocletian’s Palace and cellars
- Cathedral of Saint Domnius
- Temple of Jupiter
- Golden Gate and Silver Gate
- Restaurant lunch
- We leave the port by a coach and embark on a pleasant sightseeing tour of inland Dalmatia during which we can observe the typical charming Mediterranean nature.
- We reach the marvellous city of Split, the largest city in the region and a true open-air museum combining countless styles that include Roman ruins, Byzantine archways, Venetian bridges and African influences.
- We get off the bus and go on an intriguing stroll to discover the city centre filled with amazing monuments and historic landmarks which has been declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- Our first stop is the magnificent Palace of the Roman Emperor Diocletian, built in the ancient part of the city in the 4th century BC at the behest of the Emperor, who retired there following his abdication.
- We visit the building's cellars where, thanks to their perfect state of conservation, we learn about life in the palace and all the customs of the time.
- We continue towards the Cathedral of Saint Domnius, the city's patron saint, built on the remains of Diocletian's mausoleum, one of the oldest shrines in the world.
- Our walk then takes us towards the Temple of Jupiter, closely connected to Diocletian’s power as he felt he was his descendant and later turned into a baptistery annexed to the Cathedral of Saint Domnius.
- Finally, we admire the remains of the colossal city walls and, in particular of the Golden Gate, the main monumental entrance, and the Silver Gate.
- At the end of the guided tour, we enjoy a delicious lunch at the Varoš restaurant.
- After lunch, we have some free time to stroll around the colourful market, the largest on the coast, or continue to explore Split before getting back on our coach to return to the ship.