La Romana/Santo Domingo
DISCOVERING DOMINICAN TRADITIONS BY SAFARI TRUCK
A 360° cultural experience discovering the most traditional aspects of daily rural life in the Dominican Republic: from the cultivation of sugar cane and tobacco for cigar production, to simple village life, consisting of working in the fields and fishing in the beautiful Caribbean Sea. Our day will then end with a visit to a typical Dominican ranch where we will taste several drinks including the famous 'mamajuana'. An experience not to be missed!
- Sugar cane plantation
- Village on the plantation: the inhabitants’ life and work
- Cigar factory: traditional artisan production techniques
- Bayahibe: fishing village with exceptional panoramic views
- Typical Dominican ranch: tasting hot chocolate, coffee and mamajuana
- We will start our excursion in an open-top safari truck and head out into the Dominican countryside, where we will come to the first stop on our tour: a sugar cane plantation with a small village on site. Here we can see first-hand how the inhabitants live their lives, working on the plantation at their traditional pace, and learn how sugar cane is processed to achieve the final product.
- After our visit to the plantation, we will set off for our next stop: a small cigar factory. Here we will be shown all the processes and techniques used to produce cigars by hand, from growing and collecting the tobacco in the fields to the final packaging of the cigar by skilled artisans using traditional tools.
- After we have had the theory explained to us, we will have the opportunity to buy some cigars before we set off for our next stop.
- Our tour will continue with a visit to the picturesque finishing village of Bayahibe, overlooking one of the most beautiful beaches on the whole island with white sand, crystal-clear waters and soaring coconut palms. From here we will have exceptional panoramic views of the Caribbean Sea, the local baseball pitch and typical mini-markets known as colmados.
- Before returning to the port, we have another stop to look forward to: a typical Dominican ranch with plantations growing products consumed on a daily basis in this area of the Caribbean. We will have the chance to taste some delicious Dominican pastries, fresh fruit and coffee, hot chocolate and the famous 'mamajuana', a mix of rum, wine, honey and herbs, with beneficial and therapeutic properties.
- After visiting the ranch, we will return to the port and the ship.
Good to know
- This excursion is not recommended for guests with limited mobility.
- This excursion includes a journey on rough ground on-board a safari type off-road vehicle.
- This excursion will be conducted in English.
- Minimum age: 4 years old. Minors under the age of 4 cannot participate in the excursion as the vehicles are not equipped with suitable child seats.
- The excursion returns to the port and is reserved for both guests in transit and disembarking. Check on board if the tour is compatible with your flight.