ABU DHABI: THE CAPITAL OF THE ARAB EMIRATES AMIDST TRADITION AND MODERNITY
Culture & local gems, MyExploration, Passepartour, Less than 1 hour walking, Family friendly, Certified guide
A lively, cosmopolitan city, ultramodern streets and skyscrapers, yet with a strong tradition: an excursion to discover the multi-faceted capital of the Arab Emirates.
- Al Ittihad Square
- Presidential Palace (panoramic)
- Heritage Village
- Marina Mall
- Emirates Palace (panoramic)
- Sheikh Zayed Exhibition
- Leaving the dock behind us, we begin our tour of Abu Dhabi, a city situated on a small peninsula, surrounded by a tiny archipelago. Founded in 1761 by the Bani Yas tribe, the name of the city, which means “father of the gazelle”, was chosen as a tribute to the legend, according to which it was a gazelle to lead the first tribe to a fresh water spring in Abu Dhabi.
- Our first photo stop will be in Al Ittihad Square, whose name means 'union' in Arabic, to immortalise the spectacular, white ivory monuments, including a large coffee-pot and an incense burner symbolising renowned Arabic hospitality and its centuries-old tradition.
- Next we will visit Sheikh Zayed Exhibition, a museum housed in an Emirati heritage village replete with camels, in an incredible homage to the man who shaped the nation. A photo gallery of Sheikh Zayed and many visiting regional and international royalty and dignitaries lines the walls of the museum, which is also full of personal memorabilia such as his favourite hunting rifles. Taking centre stage are the late President's cherished vehicles - which he often drove through the city without a bodyguard - and gifts he received from all over the world such as stuffed lions and cheetahs. We will continue with a stop at the Marina Café, where there will be time for another photo stop to immortalise the spectacular skyline of Abu Dhabi.
- We then come to the Heritage Village, which houses a small museum and reconstructed homes which illustrate the day-to-day activities of the local community, before oil was discovered at the end of the 50s.
- Now it’s time for the spectacular Corniche, the splendid waterfront that extends for several kilometres, lined by numerous ultramodern, glass skyscrapers and elegant residential complexes, which have earned Abu Dhabi the title of “Manhattan of the Persian Gulf'.
- We end our tour at the breakwater, from where we can admire the superb panorama of the extraordinary city skyline.
Good to know
- On Friday will do this tour only pm and will replace Sheik Zayed Exhibition with Photo stop of the Grand Mosque.
- Visitors should be dressed appropriately according to the culture of the country being visited.
- Slight changes may be made to itineraries and the length of excursions in order to safeguard your health and comply with regulations and the safety protocol.